Skip to Content

Pilgrims Pride Corp PPC

Rating as of

Morningstar’s Analysis

Valuation
Currency in USD
Is it the right time to buy or sell?
Find out with Morningstar Premium
Is it the right time to buy or sell?
Find out with Morningstar Premium

1-Star Price

PREMIUM

5-Star Price

PREMIUM

Economic Moat

PREMIUM

Capital Allocation

PREMIUM

Shares of No-Moat Pilgrim’s Pride Go Hog Wild on Takeout Proposal From JBS but Still Offers Upside

Analyst Note

| Rebecca Scheuneman, CFA |

Brazil-based JBS, 80% owner of no-moat Pilgrim’s Pride (which it purchased out of bankruptcy in 2009 for $800 million), has offered to acquire the remaining 20% stake for $26.50 per share. JBS seeks to simplify its corporate structure by delisting Pilgrim’s as a public company, allowing for a reduction in administrative expenses and an increase in operational flexibility. The proposal equates to an $8.4 billion enterprise value, 6.3 times our 2022 EBITDA estimate and 6.5 times that of FactSet consensus. However, we view this as a light offer, particularly when compared against the 9.1 times Sanderson Farms agreed to be purchased for earlier this week by Cargill and Continental Grain Company. We maintain our $32 per share fair value estimate for Pilgrim’s, which implies an enterprise value to EBITDA of 7.5 times and is underpinned by our long-term expectations for 2%-3% annual sales growth and 7%-8% operating margins. Shares of Pilgrim’s popped more than 20% on the news to above $27, suggesting investors also think there could be upside to the offering.

Read Full Analysis

Company Profile

Business Description

Pilgrim's Pride is the second- largest poultry producer in the U.S. (62% of 2020 sales), Europe (27%), and Mexico (11%). The 2019 purchase of Tulip, the U.K.'s largest hog producer, marks the firm's entrance into the pork market, which represented 11% of 2020 sales. Pilgrim's sells its protein to chain restaurants, food processors, and retail chains under brand names Pilgrim's, Country Pride, Gold'n Plump, and Just Bare. Channel exposure is split evenly between retail and food service, with the majority of food-service revenue coming from quick-service restaurants. JBS owns 80% of Pilgrim's outstanding shares.

Contact
1770 Promontory Circle
Greeley, CO, 80634-9038
T +1 970 506-8000
Sector Consumer Defensive
Industry Packaged Foods
Most Recent Earnings Jun 30, 2021
Fiscal Year End Dec 26, 2021
Stock Type Slow Growth
Employees 54,700

Related

Transparency is how we protect the integrity of our work and keep empowering investors to achieve their goals and dreams. And we have unwavering standards for how we keep that integrity intact, from our research and data to our policies on content and your personal data.

We’d like to share more about how we work and what drives our day-to-day business.

We sell different types of products and services to both investment professionals and individual investors. These products and services are usually sold through license agreements or subscriptions. Our investment management business generates asset-based fees, which are calculated as a percentage of assets under management. We also sell both admissions and sponsorship packages for our investment conferences and advertising on our websites and newsletters.

How we use your information depends on the product and service that you use and your relationship with us. We may use it to:

  • Verify your identity, personalize the content you receive, or create and administer your account.
  • Provide specific products and services to you, such as portfolio management or data aggregation.
  • Develop and improve features of our offerings.
  • Gear advertisements and other marketing efforts towards your interests.

To learn more about how we handle and protect your data, visit our privacy center.

Maintaining independence and editorial freedom is essential to our mission of empowering investor success. We provide a platform for our authors to report on investments fairly, accurately, and from the investor’s point of view. We also respect individual opinions––they represent the unvarnished thinking of our people and exacting analysis of our research processes. Our authors can publish views that we may or may not agree with, but they show their work, distinguish facts from opinions, and make sure their analysis is clear and in no way misleading or deceptive.

To further protect the integrity of our editorial content, we keep a strict separation between our sales teams and authors to remove any pressure or influence on our analyses and research.

Read our editorial policy to learn more about our process.