KBRA Releases Research – 2022 Sector Outlook—ABS: Steady As It Goes
Kroll Bond Rating Agency (KBRA) releases its outlook on the ABS sector, examining key trends from 2021 and providing forecasts for the new year.
We expect some of the same tailwinds that benefited the ABS market over the past year to continue into the next, but headwinds will likely strengthen in the months ahead, causing the occasional bout of turbulence in 2022. The ABS market will likely remain an attractive source of funding for issuers/sponsors across the spectrum of ABS asset types given low benchmark rates and strong investor demand. This, coupled with the strong economic growth we expect for 2022, should help keep new issue supply at elevated levels. However, the start of tapering by the Federal Reserve at the end of the year and any potential rate hikes in 2022 could hamper year-over-year (YoY) supply growth.
Key takeaways from the report include the following:
- We forecast approximately $300 billion in new issue volumes in 2022, down slightly from the record amount of supply estimated to price in 2021.
- We expect the end of stimulus and federal safety net programs will inevitably cause consumer credit performance to weaken to more normalized levels, but the pace and timing of this credit normalization remains unclear. Our current expectation is that any weakening in consumer credit fundamentals will be gradual and more likely to appear in 2H 2022 as borrowers are able to tap savings and/or unutilized credit card capacity.
- Most commercial ABS assets should benefit from strong GDP growth in 2022, as well as from elevated consumer and business confidence and the continuation of accommodative monetary policy.
Click here to view the report.
- Grappling With Elevated Used Car Values
- Auto Loan ABS: EPA Greenhouse Gas Score: Third-Quarter 2021
- Auto Loan Indices: October 2021
- Marketplace Consumer Loan Indices: October 2021
- Equipment Loan & Lease Indices: October 2021
KBRA is a full-service credit rating agency registered in the U.S., the EU and the UK, and is designated to provide structured finance ratings in Canada. KBRA’s ratings can be used by investors for regulatory capital purposes in multiple jurisdictions.
Brian Ford, CFA, Senior Director
Structured Finance Research
+1 (646) 731-2329
Rosemary Kelley, Senior Managing Director
+1 (646) 731 2337
Business Development Contact
Ted Burbage, Managing Director
+1 (646) 731-3325
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211129005743/en/