Skip to Content
Commentary

Rock-Tenn Marriage to MeadWestvaco a Good Move for Both

We expect to raise our fair value estimates but don't anticipate changing either company's no-moat rating following news of the deal.

Mentioned: , ,

 MeadWestvaco's (MWV) recent corporate actions--including an announced spin-off of the specialty chemicals division and the sale of its European tobacco packaging operations--suggested to us that it was pruning itself to be acquired by or merged with another paper-based packaging company. On Jan. 26, we got our answer when the company announced it was merging with  Rock-Tenn (RKT).

The deal is expected to close in the second quarter, at which time MeadWestvaco shareholders will own 50.1% of the combined company and Rock-Tenn shareholders the remaining 49.9%. The board will consist of eight Rock-Tenn directors and six from MeadWestvaco. The CEO will be current Rock-Tenn CEO Steve Voorhees, and current MeadWestvaco CEO John Luke will serve as non-executive chairman. We consider Voorhees a solid choice to run the new company, as he brings a good capital allocation track record and extensive integration experience having overseen Rock-Tenn's 2011 acquisition of Smurfit-Stone and other bolt-on deals.

We think this is a good deal for both companies and expect to raise our fair value estimates. We do not anticipate changing either company's no-moat rating.

The companies expect to achieve $300 million in synergies over three years from supply-chain optimization, infrastructure/corporate combinations, and mill and plant optimizations. We think this figure is achievable given the companies' overlapping paper-based packaging grades in North America and mill and plant footprints. The deal will make the combined company the #1 or #2 producer of North American SBS (e.g. cigarettes, cosmetics packaging), CNK (e.g. frozen food packaging), CRB (e.g. tissue boxes), and containerboard (e.g. corrugated boxes).

MeadWestvaco's announced spin-off of the specialty chemicals business is expected to go on as planned.

Morningstar Premium Members gain exclusive access to our full  MeadWestvaco and  Rock-Tenn Analyst Reports, including fair value estimates, consider buying/selling prices, bull and bear breakdowns, and risk analyses. Not a Premium Member? Get this and other reports immediately when you try Morningstar Premium free for 14 days.  

Todd Wenning does not own (actual or beneficial) shares in any of the securities mentioned above. Find out about Morningstar’s editorial policies.